Editor (Remote / Contract)
DZone is committed to educating and empowering developers. Our mission is to harness the incredible power of technology and bring developer practitioners, advocates, and inspiring novices alike together in a community of like-minded individuals. Recognizing that developers sit at the hub of innovation in many companies, we offer solutions that drive knowledge sharing, foster collaboration, and facilitate learning and growth.
DZone is seeking a Contract Editor. This is a remote opportunity and available to a qualified US-based employee. This role has flexible hours with a minimum of 5 hours a week and offers an hourly rate.
In this role, you’ll help our Editorial team prepare articles for publication, work directly with contributors to help improve their articles, and collaborate with other DZone team members in order to publish high-quality content.
As a Contract Editor, you will be responsible for:
- Copyediting, proofreading, and providing editorial feedback on articles written by experienced software developers
- Working directly with contributors to help improve their articles — both from a writing and a topical perspective
- Formatting articles for publication on the web (HTML)
- Reviewing content to ensure that it appeals to our audience
To do this job well, you’ll need to have the following skills (required):
- Superior copyediting and proofreading ability (including judgment and initiative to investigate the best way to express technical concepts you’ve only just encountered)
- Strong interpersonal skills, including a genuine desire and well-earned confidence to engage with highly experienced software professionals
- The readiness to receive feedback and adapt quickly
- A willingness and strong desire to learn
- Superb web research skills
Preferred but not required:
- Prior experience or work with a publishing company
- Experience in editing for web channels
- SEO knowledge
- Basic HTML
- Undergraduate major or minor in English, Journalism, Communication, or Computer Science